Name: Séan McCann
Birthplace: Carbonear Newfoundland
Currently residing: St. John’s Newfoundland
Musical past and present in one rambling run-on sentence: There ‘s a cassette recording of me singing “the Wild Colonial Boy” at age three. I went to a catholic boys school and joined the band in grade six so I could sit down next to a girl. I was asked to leave in grade eight for being lazy and having no musical aptitude. I blame the clarinet…and girls. Bought a guitar when I was 24 and learned three chords. Got signed to Warner Brothers at 26. Did 20 years there and am now enjoying the Emancipation of Music.
1. Who are some of your favourite composers, musicians and bands from the past and present?
All I really need are:
2. Is there a particular song or musical passage that never fails to move you emotionally?
I tend to gravitate to whatever is going my speed at the time.
I am drawn to power, whether it be Joe Strummer or Nick Drake.
3. How would you describe your perfect day?
Alone in the woods with my dogs and the makings for fire.
4. What would your friends say they appreciate the most about you?
They also hate me for it.
5. What is your most valued material possession?
I have a very small personal studio in my house. It used to be my son’s nursery. Now it’s where I watch songs grow.
6. Who were you, or would you be nervous to meet?
I have always avoided meeting my heroes as they invariably fail to live up to my ridiculous expectations. I’m not afraid of anyone.
7. If you could blink your eyes and be in a favourite place right now, where would that place be?
In the Rocky Mountains.
8. Is there something you would like to do more of in the future?
9. Where would you like to find yourself in ten years?
Alive and happy with my beautiful wife and children.