Name: Chris Sand
Birthplace: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Currently residing: Missoula, MT
Musical past and present in one rambling run-on sentence: I’ve been writing raps & strange lyrics since 1984 but didn’t learn guitar until 1988 and then by the early-to-mid 90s I was recording my stuff mostly in Olympia, WA, where I’d moved to go to college, and it just took off from there, so now I have about 13 albums, one documentary (Roll Out, Cowboy), and an undeniable future as an inscrutable and obscure troubadour.
1. Who are some of your favourite composers, musicians and bands from the past and present?
I like Prince, Hank Williams, Run-DMC, LL Cool J, Woody Guthrie, Phil Elverum, Calvin Johnson, Lauryn Hill, D’Angelo, Anthony Hamilton, The Carter Family, Robert Johnson, Sonny Boy Williamson, Stephan Said, Jimi Hendrix, Drive By Truckers, Bob Dylan, Bob Marley, King Sunny Ade, Moustaches, Timezone Lafontaine, Eminem, Nas, Andras Jones, Chaka Khan, Led Zeppelin, Jonny Fritz, The Best Westerns, Caroline Keys, Arrington de Dionyso, Townes Van Zandt, Dolly Parton, Modest Mouse, Cat Power, James Brown, Jonathan Richman, Bruce Springsteen, Butter, more…
2. Is there a particular song or musical passage that never fails to move you emotionally?
Three way tie:
Prince’s “When You Were Mine”
Dylan’s “Visions of Johanna”
Led Zeppelin’s “Tangerine”
3. How would you describe your perfect day?
Hiking to a hot spring. Swimming in a river. No urgency and a warm breeze. Grazing on wild berries.
4. What would your friends say they appreciate the most about you?
Kindness & creativity.
5. What is your most valued material possession?
My $200 guitar.
6. Who were you, or would you be nervous to meet?
7. If you could blink your eyes and be in a favourite place right now, where would that place be?
On Killdeer Mountain in western North Dakota where my dad lives.
8. Is there something you would like to do more of in the future?
I’ve never been off the continent; I want to travel the world.
9. Where would you like to find yourself in ten years?
In a borderless world nestled in an infinite universe swimming in cosmic bliss.