Name: LA Cat
Currently residing: Santa Monica, California
Musical past and present in one rambling run-on sentence: I learned Progressive Jazz ear training while my Jazz musician/mechanical engineer dad from Hawaii, drove me to school as a child, I taught myself guitar and started writing my own style songs as a teen, and then in young adulthood I rocked every club in LA, went to tour in Asia with a latin band, then top 40 band as the bandleader, to Hong Kong, Thailand and Singapore, returned to LA and fell in love with Reggae music now working with producers from Haiti, St. Johns and LA now working on a new album with styles of Haitian Reggae, Rootsy Reggae and LA Urban vibe sending my main belief in life… One Love, Oneness and our connection to all things for this new energy that has arrived on our beautiful blue planet.
1. Who are some of your favourite composers, musicians and bands from the past and present?
The dead can dance
Nat King Cole
2. Is there a particular song or musical passage that never fails to move you emotionally?
…The greatest thing you’ll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return…
3. How would you describe your perfect day?
Being at the Ocean in Malibu surfing the perfect wave on a perfect 75 degree day.
4. What would your friends say they appreciate the most about you?
That I love and care for them, accept them for who they are and am there for them in every way.
5. What is your most valued material possession?
My Kitty. Then my voice and guitar, then my ability to be a healthy physical being so I can dance and move.
6. Who were you, or would you be nervous to meet?
I don’t really get nervous meeting people. A big shark would be unnerving but one has to stay calm in this situation.
7. If you could blink your eyes and be in a favourite place right now, where would that place be?
Malibu surfrider beach.
8. Is there something you would like to do more of in the future?
More gigs, touch more people with my music and make a good living at it.
9. Where would you like to find yourself in ten years?
Secure myself in the music business I am creating as an artist/vocalist/songwriter/musician and my record company, Lion Records LA. My goal is selling licensed music and helping artists, particularly in Haiti. If the universe put the biggest heart in music it is in Haiti. These people music keeps their souls going as the economy is so very difficult. They are just the same urban people like any city folks not what the media shows. It’s just so hard to survive, with even eating daily. They are proud and just want to be independent like anyone. I hope I can help to let the world know of this amazing music coming out of Haiti, from totally cool Hip Hop to their amazing traditional Rhythms of Kompa, Karnaval music and Reggae to name a few. Then Let me surf, dance, love and be happy!!!
I’m a simple Girl…