Name: Reid Jamieson
Birthplace: North York, ON
Currently residing: Vancouver BC – west end
Musical past and present in one rambling run-on sentence:
Dad sang me to sleep, mom died young and so became obsessed with guitar and old tunes, spent teens early 20s hidden in bedroom recording hundreds of songs nobody would ever hear, started rock band Alvy and made a move to the big city from the burbs, realized band was probably not best outlet for creativity and released first solo album Cowlick Bravado, met CVM who became lover, co-writer and manager, released Unavoidable Truth with Josh Finlayson, Sarah Harmer and other musical heroes, got ‘discovered by Stuart Mclean and the fine folks at CBCs Vinyl Cafe and enjoyed much quality airplay and only real touring, moved to BC to blow fresh air into songs, accidentally released 50s era tribute to Elvis, finally released original album Staring Contest, married muse, bought wee home studio and started writing for film and tv in hopes of being heard all over the world one fine day.
1. Who are some of your favourite composers, musicians and bands from the past and present?
Neil Finn, Willie Nelson, Wilco, Sarah Harmer, Laura Veirs, The Kinks, Nick Lowe, Neil Young, Mia Sheard, The Beatles (and most associated solo projects), Elvis, Patsy Cline, Two Minute Miracles, Iron and Wine, Sloan, Susie Arioli and many more.
2. Is there a particular song or musical passage that never fails to move you emotionally?
VINCENT “And when no hope was left in sight…on that starry starry night…you took your life as lovers often do…”*sniff*
Click here to listen!
3. How would you describe your perfect day?
Waking up with my love, cuppas by the sea, writing songs in bed, bike ride in the woods, late afternoon glass of wine that turns into a tasty homemade dinner with friends, watching Star Trek with the wife, going to bed early with a clear conscience.
4. What would your friends say they appreciate the most about you?
My cooking? General gentleness?
5. What is your most valued material possession?
My Canadian made La Patrie nylon string guitar bought from Rufus Stewart has been good to me, but trumped by my wedding ring.
6. Who were you, or would you be nervous to meet?
Was: Neil Finn. Would be: Paul McCartney
7. If you could blink your eyes and be in a favourite place right now, where would that place be?
Kauai, HI. the pine forest on the southern tip.
8. Is there something you would like to do more of in the future?
Extended camping trips.
9. Where would you like to find yourself in ten years?
Making music full-time for a decent living, healthy and in love. Hope that’s not too much to ask.