Name: The Lowest Pair
Birthplace: Arkansas and Minnesota
Currently residing: in a Nissan Maxima..but soon to be Olympia
Musical past and present in one rambling run-on sentence: Kendl is a solo artist on K records. She grew up listening to punk rock in Arkansas and followed it out to Olympia, picked up a banjo, started super grass group, the Blackberry Bushes, and had just stepped out of that when Palmer T. Lee, Minnesotan, Boys n’ the Barrels, fellow banjo songster called her up and suggested a banjo duet. They…we.. figured what more could you want and hit the road with it before we’d even worked up a full set. We found a good name without much to live up to, The Lowest Pair, and the rest is now.
1. Who are some of your favourite composers, musicians and bands from the past and present?
Kendl: Soophie Nun Squad, Dead Moon, Bela Fleck, Mirah, Tender Forever, Trampled By Turtles, Bonnie Prince Billy, Townes Van Zandt, Mason Jennings, Gillean Welch, Lucinda Williams, Dolly Parton, TLC, The Blow, Foghorn Stringband, Charlie Parr, John Hartford
Palmer: Bob Dylan, Jerry Garcia, Gillian Welch, Charlie Parr, Paul Simon, Led Zeppelin, John Hartford, Punch Brothers, Bruce Molsky,
2. Is there a particular song or musical passage that never fails to move you emotionally?
Kendl: Oooh Child, by the Five Stairsteps always, without fail.
Palmer: The blind leaving the blind
3. How would you describe your perfect day?
Kendl: Early quiet morning, coffee, writing, a long run, stretching, fruits, veggies, friends, practice, finding yummy mushrooms, cooking, hanging, being warm, wine, buddies, music sharing…love
Palmer: A little bit of coffee, a little bit of sunshine, lots of picking,
4. What would your friends say they appreciate the most about you?
Kendl: creative energy
Palmer: my kind heartedness
5. What is your most valued material possession?
6. Who were you, or would you be nervous to meet?
Kendl: Bela. my bottom lip just kind of hung out on the floor and it made it hard to talk
Palmer: Kendl’s Mom
7. If you could blink your eyes and be in a favourite place right now, where would that place be?
Kendl: home or the Olympic Mountains in early September
Palmer: Wabasha County
8. Is there something you would like to do more of in the future?
Kendl: more music, more hiking, more growing, more hanging, more running, more stretching, more loving, more writing, more drawing, more reading, more
Palmer: gardening and cooking
9. Where would you like to find yourself in ten years?
Kendl: doing it all better.