Name: Terri Hendrix
Birthplace: San Antonio, Texas
Currently residing: San Marcos, Texas
Musical past and present in one rambling run-on sentence: I began writing songs when I was about 8. It’s kept me sane but sometimes drives me nuts, too. Especially when I have writers block. I loved music so much that I majored in it. I dropped out when I was about 21. I began doing open mics and then bought a PA and launched a career. It’s over 20 years later and I’m still at it. My idea of “making it” was to be self-employed and write songs. I’m still in chase of the muse and am still performing full-time. I feel like I’ve been on tour for 20 years though and want roots. So I’m building an arts center in Hays County for the next generation of songwriters. It’s called the OYOU and the website is ownyourownuniverse.org …
1. Who are some of your favourite composers, musicians and bands from the past and present?
Musicians and Bands
Mary Chapin Carpenter
Robert Earl Keen
2. Is there a particular song or musical passage that never fails to move you emotionally?
“How dark is it? It’s so dark you can smell the moon.”
— Guy Clark
3. How would you describe your perfect day?
I go to bed the same day I wake up. I’m a night owl. So for sure coffee. Then I write. All I do is write. The business takes care of itself. I just write. Then I play ball with my dogs. It’s about 80 degrees outside. I take some ranch dressing and go to dinner … in my garden. I don’t even wash it. I just eat it. Sun sets. Moon rises. Friends come over. We have Pine Ridge Merlot and watch a movie.
4. What would your friends say they appreciate the most about you?
I know how to listen. I do not give advice.
5. What is your most valued material possession?
My music collection.
6. Who were you, or would you be nervous to meet?
Ann Richards. She passed away before I got to meet her.
7. If you could blink your eyes and be in a favourite place right now, where would that place be?
Italy. I’ve never been. I want to go.
8. Is there something you would like to do more of in the future?
I would like to write more. I would like to have some time off to just create. When I have time off I sputter and putter.
9. Where would you like to find yourself in ten years?
House paid off. Great health. I want my parents to be in great health. I want my brother and sister to be happy. I want my 18-year-old dog to still be alive. I want to help other people. I want kids to play music. You can’t knock people out if you’re occupied with art. I’d like to have a part in fixing things. And no matter what, I can’t have any bills. I’d like my art to bring money so I can have the means to do what I want with the OYOU and beyond. I’m not a good fundraiser. So, in ten years I’m gonna need to have created and released a golden football.