Name: Keith Rose
Birthplace: St. Boniface, Manitoba, Canada
Currently residing: Barlassina, Monza Brianza, Italia
Musical past and present in one rambling run-on sentence:
Anything anyone would let me be involved in starting on trumpet at age 8, baritone euphonium age 10, electric bass age 11 until present with guitar, upright bass and ukulele thrown in there… I played with some cool folks too.
Website or online network:
1. Who are some of your favourite composers, musicians and bands from the past and present?
Jazz- Mingus (freakin genius bassist and composer, no doubt about it… could also be in the classical composer category)
Folk- Martin Carthy (just pure class and talent… and he remembered my name three years after we met and I kissed his daughter.)
Rock- ACDC (doesn’t get more straight up than that… it’s rock!)
Punk- Ramones (if I had to pick one… I realize I don’t but I get bored if I don’t give myself boundaries… again totally straight and pop)
Pop- Lily Allen (makes me laugh every time)
Punk/Alternative- Alice Donut (anything from that era Alternative Tentacles is kickin… could mention NoMeansNo… but the Donut makes me feel dirty and glad to be, all at once)
Something Else Soundtrack? Nele Karajli_ć (rent and watch Black Cat White Cat and listen….that’s enough)
Ethnic- Daniele Sepe (italian genius my favourite album is Anime Candide… check it out)
Musicians/Bands- Mike Watt, Ford Pier, Paul Rigby, Barry Mirochnyk, Iggy Pop, Cab Calloway, Dizzy Gilespie, Calexico, Neko Case, Cracker, Daniel Johnston, Devo, Shane MacGowan, Louis Armstrong, Ennio Morricone, Gene Vincent, Girl Talk, Glenn Gould, Harry Nilson, Ivo Papasov, Johnny Cash, Kinks, The lounge Lizards, Lucinda Williams, The Meters, Beatnigs, Spearhead, Micheal Franti, Ministry, Minutemen, Modernettes, NoMeansNo, Randy Newman, Squeeze, Steve Earl, Monk, Carolyn Mark, Toy Dolls, and Townes Van Zandt…. there are others but it’s getting late.
2. Is there a particular song or musical passage that never fails to move you emotionally?
Anything James Jamerson played on bass.
3. How would you describe your perfect day?
Being with my family without any time constraints.
4. What would your friends say they appreciate the most about you?
You would have to ask them.
5. What is your most valued material possession?
6. Who were you, or would you be nervous to meet?
I was nervous when I met Mike Watt…. no reason to be… hell of a nice guy.
7. If you could blink your eyes and be in a favourite place right now, where would that place be?
I’m there, right here with my family.
8. Is there something you would like to do more of in the future?
9. Where would you like to find yourself in ten years?
Playing music with a bunch of friends. Having a good time and not thinking of how stupid I look…. hasn’t stopped me so far!
One thought on “Nine Questions with Keith Rose”
Anyone that likes Shane MacGowan is a friend of mine!