Name: Jani Vilis Bers
Birthplace: Ennistymon, Republic of Ireland
Currently residing: Spokane, Washington
Musical past and present in one rambling run-on sentence:
Beginning by driving my parents nuts with a toy “Ringo Drum” they regret having bought me as a kid, to creating awful noises on violin in my school orchestra (still driving my parents nuts!), to playing bass in teen garage bands (see above!), to buying my first synthesizer and 4 track portastudio to record songs & jingles, to music production for the BBC in England and then doing the same in America, to attending countless astonishing live concerts locally, nationally and worldwide.
Website or online network: facebook
1. Who are some of your favourite composers, musicians and bands from the past and present?
The Beatles (naturally!), John Barry, Stephen Hackett, Roy Rogers & Norton Buffalo, Francis Dunnery, Rick Wakeman, Dixie Dregs, Fairport Convention, David Gilmore, Mark King, Pat Coast, Pat Barclay, Neil Peart.
2. Is there a particular song or musical passage that never fails to move you emotionally?
Matt Monro – “Walk Away”.
3. How would you describe your perfect day?
A full English breakfast with HP sauce (mandatory!) to start the day followed by a long motorcycle ride under warm sunshine to a far away lake for a dip before champagne at sunset and making love to my sweetheart.
4. What would your friends say they appreciate the most about you?
Generosity & well intended mischievous humor whilst encouraging social gluttony!
5. What is your most valued material possession?
A beautiful framed portrait of my late father – also named Jani.
6. Who were you, or would you be nervous to meet?
Her Majesty The Queen Of England (still waiting for my knighthood invitation!).
7. If you could blink your eyes and be in a favourite place right now, where would that place be?
The beautiful and historic City of York, Yorkshire, England.
8. Is there something you would like to do more of in the future?
I’ve always been excessive, but then I’m always up for a bit more fun, games, wine, women & song!
9. Where would you like to find yourself in ten years?
Alive & in good health would be a good start, in any part of the world that isn’t being bombed, nor hated, is reasonably stable and has zero tectonic plate movement! But I can still dream can’t I?
One thought on “Nine Questions with Jani Bers”
Yorkshire is indeed a beautiful place!