Name: Jordan Corey
Birthplace: San Jose, CA
Currently residing: Venice, CA
Musical past and present in one rambling run-on sentence: When I was a kid I was painfully shy and literally wouldn’t talk to anyone so in third grade my mom forced me to do a musical and I thought for the first time that I had seen heaven all the while I was taking classical piano lessons and absolutely hating it so I eventually threw up my 12-year-old hands and quit only to continue to do musical theater when I was 14 I sat back down at my piano and started writing moody songs and decided that I would MAKE MUSIC FOR THE REST OF MY LIFE then I joined a classic/rock cover band and played oldies all around the bay area for fun-loving people then I turned 18 and went to college at UCSB where I played in a soul/reggae/funk band that rocked the streets of isla vista all the while working on my own side projects – my first record ‘Do Me Wrong’ was released my senior year of college, it was awesome, I got named iHeartRadio Artist to Watch and finally started “making a name for myself” a year later I wrote and recorded my sophomore record, ‘Trilogy’ and raised over $16,000 to do a video project alongside the release I played music video producer for 9 months and at the end of the blood, sweat, and negotiations we had 3 beautiful music videos that are my children today as I sit here writing this ridiculously long stream-of-consciousness sentence I have just completed a track called “The Power” for my friends at Dr Pepper and Complex Magazine it was great fun creating it and I have been so ecstatic as the power spreads its little wings and makes its way into your eardrums I am also finishing up my third record, “All That”, which is set to release SOON and will undoubtedly be a joyous occasion of non-stop live shows, good vibes, and more beautiful people to meet 😉
1. Who are some of your favourite composers, musicians and bands from the past and present?
– Most anything touched by Andrew Lloyd Webber.
– Stevie Nicks
– Neil Young
– Etta James
– Darlene Love
– Alicia Keys (songs in A minor changed my damn life)
– Amy Winehouse (duh)
– Adele (19)
– Dan Carey
– Emiliana Torrini
– Blood Orange
– Flying Lotus (his video projects are ridiculous, “Until the Quiet Comes” inspired my “Trilogy” video project)
– Edo Lee
– Ben Kahn
– Chet Faker
– Yumi Zouma
I can keep going, but I should probably stop. This list is never-ending, always evolving.
2. Is there a particular song or musical passage that never fails to move you emotionally?
Many many songs. A couple examples:
– Old Man – Neil Young
– Wish You Were Here – Pink Floyd
– I Would Rather Be Blind – Etta James
– There is No Greater Love – Amy Winehouse
– The Chain – Fleetwood Mac
– Cavalier – James Vincent McMorrow
– Sweetest Thing – Lulu James
– Open – Rhye
– Youth – Ben Kahn
– Rice Queen – Superhumanoids
– Chosen – Blood Orange
– Feet In The Sand – Rose Wintergreen
– Tookah – Emiliana Torrini
3. How would you describe your perfect day?
Living entirely in the present, embracing the unique perfection of each day. (Being the beach with an incredible book wouldn’t hurt either 😉
4. What would your friends say they appreciate the most about you?
I literally asked two friends:
“Positive outlook on life. A shining light. Seeing everyday as a new opportunity to love, learn, and experience.”
“Ability to help others see the positive in everyday”
5. What is your most valued material possession?
I’ve been trying really hard not to have valued material possessions BUT lets be real, I’m a human…..my books, my juno-G, my cast iron pan, my platform shoes
6. Who were you, or would you be nervous to meet?
I met RAC a couple weeks ago and thought I might explode with nerves. Every time I get nervous to meet people I remember they’re just humans.
7. If you could blink your eyes and be in a favourite place right now, where would that place be?
A secluded island with my closest homies
8. Is there something you would like to do more of in the future?
Write more, do more, be more. Always.
9. Where would you like to find yourself in ten years?
Making music, spending time with good people, and sipping in the beauty that life gives me each day