Name: Salim Nourallah
Birthplace: Alton, Illinois
Currently residing: Dallas, Texas
Musical past and present in one rambling run-on sentence: Recorded Nourallah Brothers with my brother Faris with boxing gloves and occasional instruments six years later solo debut Polaroid met with words like “discovering a singer-songwriter who can stop time is rare, but Salim Nourallah is such a find…” (Rolling Stone), still trying to stop time but it keeps whirring past Hit Parade is record #5 released by the world’s finest indie label Tapete Records from Hamburg I want to go to Spain and play in July then Germany too with the wife and kids which would be our Euro tour #4
1. Who are some of your favourite composers, musicians and bands from the past and present?
the Beatles, the Kinks, the Clash
2. Is there a particular song or musical passage that never fails to move you emotionally?
“People are Like Suns” – it’s about how temporary we all are and it’s one of Neil Finn’s greatest moments as a songwriter
3. How would you describe your perfect day?
I would spend it with my wife Jayme and our kids. I’d be mentally “present” for the duration. Meaning: absolute peace from the incessant chatter in my head – worrying about bills I failed to pay, emails I failed to return, things that need fixing or tending to, etc., etc., etc. – you know, free from all the useless things our minds get tangled up with on a daily basis.
4. What would your friends say they appreciate the most about you?
That I’m not an asshole
5. What is your most valued material possession?
Could my life be my material possession? I suppose it’s probably not, so then I guess I’d pick my recording studio…
6. Who were you, or would you be nervous to meet?
I wouldn’t be nervous about meeting anyone now that I’m all grown up and middle aged…people are people no matter how much we admire them or how well-known they are. I wish I could meet John Lennon but the chances of that happening seems to be nil!
7. If you could blink your eyes and be in a favourite place right now, where would that place be?
Santorini, Greece – I’d preferably like Jayme to be there with me in a bathing suit
8. Is there something you would like to do more of in the future?
I’d like to have more time to work on my own music, more time to write songs, more leisurely days of carefree fun with my family too. I suppose I’d also like to be naked more often but definitely not in public.
9. Where would you like to find yourself in ten years?
Mainly alive…oh and happily married with my kids close by. I’d like to find myself still involved with playing music too.