Name: Shannon Labrie
Birthplace: Lincoln, NE
Currently residing: Nashville, TN
Musical past and present in one rambling run-on sentence: Started writing classical piano pieces when I was a little girl. I can’t remember a time I didn’t sing. Never read music, just felt it. Got my first guitar around 10 years old, when my dad got cancer. He showed me EM, G, C, D, and F before he passed away. I couldn’t put the guitar down after that. I kept writing music on piano and guitar and before I knew it, I found myself in Nashville, TN writing my honest heart out. My Mom has a beautiful opera voice and my Dad was an incredible guitar player and songwriter. They taught me along with James Taylor and Lauryn Hill albums:-).
1. Who are some of your favourite composers, musicians and bands from the past and present?
Bob (my dad)
Just to name a few:-)
2. Is there a particular song or musical passage that never fails to move you emotionally?
Killing Me Softly
Any song from Lauryn Hill
Any song by James Taylor. I especially love Copperline and The Frozen Man
My Morning Jackets: Thank You Too
Bob Dylan: Gotta Serve Somebody
Miranda Lambert: House That Built Me
3. How would you describe your perfect day?
Laying in a hammock with a man on a cool fall day.
4. What would your friends say they appreciate the most about you?
My honesty and sense of humor.
5. What is your most valued material possession?
Everything is replaceable. In the end when I’m on my death-bed, it’s going to be the love and relationships I had that I most value and I try to remember that every day.
If I had to pick something, it would be my dad’s guitar strap. I never play without it.
6. Who were you, or would you be nervous to meet?
I was Jack White’s server at a restaurant I worked at two years ago. That was the first time I was ever star struck. I was also pretty nervous when I met John Oates…..than again, I was most nervous to meet my mom after I had taken the car out all night without calling (back in highschool). She was pretty pissed.
7. If you could blink your eyes and be in a favourite place right now, where would that place be?
Heaven, with all the people that I’ve had to say goodbye to.
8. Is there something you would like to do more of in the future?
Read. I’m continually losing time to read.
9. Where would you like to find yourself in ten years?
I hope in ten years I’m not regretting the last ten years:-) I’d like to be sitting on a porch in the early evening with my close friends and family drinking bottles of wine and eating cheese!