Name: Shanti Mae Gruber
Birthplace: Vail, Colorado
Currently residing: Carbondale, CO
Musical past and present in one rambling run-on sentence: Starting at age 5 with piano lessons, moving on to playing the clarinet as first chair in HS, Choir member, and then to the University of Northern Colorado in Greeley to study Music Education with an emphasis in Piano/ Voice/ General Music K-12, currently the Music Director @ Glenwood Springs High School teaching Jazz Band, Choir, Guitar, Music Theory, and directing musicals while performing with The Tippetts, The C-dale Starletts, and producing many events here in Carbondale. The list keeps growing the more I say yes!
1. Who are some of your favourite composers, musicians and bands from the past and present?
Mozart/ Debussy/ Brahms/ Chopin/ Mingus/ Charlie Parker / Miles Davis/ Susan Tedeschi/ Bonnie Raitt/ Diana Jones/ Benny Galloway/ Oakhurst/ Clumsy Lovers 😉 / The Fallen Pines/ My Dad – Larry Gruber/ Walter Gorra/ Meagan Goodwin/Grace Potter……the list is massive ….could go on for days 🙂
2. Is there a particular song or musical passage that never fails to move you emotionally?
What a wonderful world – Louis Armstrong
3. How would you describe your perfect day?
Coffee and donuts with fruit and a dance party to get the day started. “Lovely Day to start”! Jammin tunes with friends followed by a hike/ swim in the river/ ride down the snow hill, followed by more music – a local band or favorite band to dance the night away. Food, Music, Love, and Dancin 🙂
4. What would your friends say they appreciate the most about you?
Patience, Love, and fashion!
5. What is your most valued material possession?
My Instruments and jewels from my Grandmother.
6. Who were you, or would you be nervous to meet?
If I were to get in trouble – the judge and jury 🙂
7. If you could blink your eyes and be in a favourite place right now, where would that place be?
On stage with my favorite players @ Telluride bluegrass festival 🙂
8. Is there something you would like to do more of in the future?
9. Where would you like to find yourself in ten years?
Doing everything I dreamed of doing – teaching , playing music, touring, producing, recording, wait that is what I’m doing now…maybe retired on the beach selling shell necklaces…we’ll see!