Name: Sarah Burton
Birthplace: Ottawa, ON
Currently residing: Toronto, ON
Musical past and present in one rambling run-on sentence: piano student turned guitar grunge kid at 13, but didn’t perform til age 21 and now sings her heart out almost every night in alt-folk format but wishes she was a dance/rap star.
1. Who are some of your favourite composers, musicians and bands from the past and present?
Elvis Costello, Aimee Mann, Led Zeppelin, David Bowie, Gram Parsons, Ryan Adams, The who, Sloan, Belle & Sebastian, Muse, Weezer
2. Is there a particular song or musical passage that never fails to move you emotionally?
Too many to mention but the first that comes to mind right now is Billy Bragg – “I saw two shooting stars last night, I wished on them, but they were only satellites, It’s wrong to wish on space hardware, I wish, I wish, I wish you cared.“
3. How would you describe your perfect day?
Wake up from the sun shining through the window, drink a good coffee, eat some fruit, walk down to the beach, go swimming, take a ride in a boat, play some music, meet some funny strangers, ride bikes, laugh my ass off, try parasailing, eat spicy foods and take a ride in a helicopter. Or a unicorn
4. What would your friends say they appreciate the most about you?
My sense of fun and adventure. And my rapping skillz.
5. What is your most valued material possession?
I should say my guitar, but it’s probably my phone…
6. Who were you, or would you be nervous to meet?
A shark or an octopus
7. If you could blink your eyes and be in a favourite place right now, where would that place be?
8. Is there something you would like to do more of in the future?
9. Where would you like to find yourself in ten years?
On a boat, muthafucka!