Name: Raphael Geronimo
Birthplace: Manila, Philippines
Currently residing: Richmond, B.C.
Musical past and present in one rambling run-on sentence: My father was musician and loved Latin music, so as a kid, I grew up listening to: Tito Puente, Fania All Stars, Eddie Palmieri, Batacumbelle and Poncho Sanchez. – And I really hated it! I liked Rock music: Rush, The Jimi Hendrix Experience, The Rolling Stones and the Who. So, as a teen my father introduced me to Santana and I was able to see the relation between Latin and Rock music. So I started to slowly appreciate Latin music. Within a few years, I fell in love with Latin music and now playing latin jazz and afro cuban music in my band Rumba Calzada is what I do for a living. So, my early years of having to listen to Latin music has proven to be the best education a father could give a son.
1. Who are some of your favourite composers, musicians and bands from the past and present?
My favorite bands and musicians include: Tito Puente, Batacumbelle, Eddie Palmieri, Celia Cruz, Fania All Stars and Poncho Sanchez. Although, I am a fan of Mozart and Beethoven and I do enjoy Rock, Jazz, and Bluegrass music.
2. Is there a particular song or musical passage that never fails to move you emotionally?
Mi bajo con tumbao rico y sabrociao.
3. How would you describe your perfect day?
A sunny day….. light breeze…..running…… playing music ………. going for swim……..eating ……… having a beer………..There are too many perfect days to describe!
4. What would your friends say they appreciate the most about you?
Being lucky that I get to play music for a living.
5. What is your most valued material possession?
6. Who were you, or would you be nervous to meet?
7. If you could blink your eyes and be in a favourite place right now, where would that place be?
In my bed…….. sleeping well.
8. Is there something you would like to do more of in the future?
See places in the world that I would like to see, like Paris, France and the pyramids in Egypt.
9. Where would you like to find yourself in ten years?
Still playing music, running, travelling, eating well, spending time with family, friends and the people I want to be around.