Name: Jessee Havey
Birthplace: Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Currently residing: Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Musical past and present in one rambling run-on sentence: Original singer and co-founder of Canadian folk band The Duhks who left for a few years during which time started a funk/R&B band in Winnipeg called Jessee Havey and The Quirks and toured and recorded with her ex-boyfriend and musical partner, the phenomenally talented JD Edwards, and is now back with The Duhks.
1. Who are some of your favourite composers, musicians and bands from the past and present? Sarah Siskind, Mike & Ruthy, The Mammals, Kat Goldman, Amelia Curran, Laura Cortese, Jonathan Byrd, Corin Raymond, Fish & Bird, Treasa Levasseur, New Country Rehab, The Steel Wheels, The Traveling Wilburys, Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young, My Morning Jacket, Volcano Choir, Ollabelle, Dolly Parton, Bettye LaVette, Cyndi Lauper, Amy Winehouse, Scott Nolan, Brandy Zdan, Tim O’Brien, Darrell Scott, Guy Abraham, Ray LaMontagne, Ruthie Foster, SIA, Adele, Bonnie Raitt, Aretha Franklin, Billie Holiday, Sarah Vaughan, Etta James, Roberta Flack, Candi Staton, Ray Charles, Sam Cooke, Charles Bradley, Elizabeth Cotten, John Prine, Ricardo Lemvo, Parliament, The Andrews Sisters, Ben Harper, Ben Folds, Nina Simone, Radiohead, Lucinda Williams, Jim Lauderdale, Björk, Lauryn Hill, The Bros. Landreth, Buddy Miller, Carole King, Danny Barnes…
2. Is there a particular song or musical passage that never fails to move you emotionally?
I Just Don’t Think I’ll Ever Get Over You by Colin Hay.
3. How would you describe your perfect day?
Sleep in, then lounge in my house coat while drinking coffee and reading a book until I feel like doing yoga and taking a shower, getting dressed, having dinner with my family, visiting with an old friend, playing a show, and cuddling up with a good movie, popcorn, and tea in my sweats until I fall asleep.
4. What would your friends say they appreciate the most about you?
My candour, compassion, and sense of humour.
5. What is your most valued material possession?
An mp3 recording of the voicemail Dolly Parton left on my machine.
6. Who were you, or would you be nervous to meet?
Dolly. I basically lost the ability to speak English and turned white as a ghost, as exhibited in the photo I got with her, in which she looks perfectly poised and gorgeous and I look pretty hilarious.
7. If you could blink your eyes and be in a favourite place right now, where would that place be?
Lake of the Woods, Ontario, where I went to summer camp as a kid. It’s a magical place.
8. Is there something you would like to do more of in the future?
Yoga, meditation, re-learning French, and becoming a better ukulele player. I think I would like to learn to play the bass at some point, too.
9. Where would you like to find yourself in ten years?
Settled down in a humble abode (somewhere in North America, most likely) with a partner and starting a family while still maintaining my music career. In my dreams, I fall in love with a musician who I can play and tour with.