Name: John Rosett
Birthplace: Durham, NC
Currently residing: Missoula, MT
Musical past and present in one rambling run-on sentence: I’ve been playing guitar since I was a teenager, and have played banjo, mandolin, and steel guitar in different bands, from bluegrass to jazz, but now I play guitar and steel in a western swing/honkytonk/kitchen sink band called Cash For Junkers and also a little swing mandolin from time to time.
1. Who are some of your favourite composers, musicians and bands from the past and present? Frank Zappa, Benny Goodman, Dizzy Gillespie, Bob Wills, Hank Garland, Jethro Burns, Django Reinhardt, Andy Statman, Steve Goodman, David Bromberg, Tom Morrell…
2. Is there a particular song or musical passage that never fails to move you emotionally?
There are too many to list. Much of Django Reinhardt’s music is moving
3. How would you describe your perfect day?
Walking my dogs, spending time with my wife, having a band rehearsal and/or gig.
4. What would your friends say they appreciate the most about you?
Either my sense of humor or my excellent hygiene.
5. What is your most valued material possession?
My 1966 Epiphone Sorrento guitar.
6. Who were you, or would you be nervous to meet?
I have met several of my “heroes”, and they were nice, regular people, so I don’t feel very nervous about meeting anyone.
7. If you could blink your eyes and be in a favourite place right now, where would that place be?
Weiser, Idaho, during Fiddle Week.
8. Is there something you would like to do more of in the future?
Playing more music!
9. Where would you like to find yourself in ten years?
In ten years, I’ll be 66, and I hope that I’ll still be playing music with great musicians, enjoying my family, and telling bad jokes with my friends.
Oh, and I’d like to have a trust fund…