Name: Chris Hamilton
Birthplace: Thunder Bay, ON
Currently residing: White Rock, BC
Musical past and present in one rambling run-on sentence: A musical journey that began with piano lessons that did not instill a life of piano-playing then guitar lessons that led me to quit guitar for a few years, but ultimately I tried again and since my early 20’s life has mostly revolved around music.
1. Who are some of your favourite composers, musicians and bands from the past and present?
Where to begin? I respect a lot of my colleagues and contemporaries in children’s music, but my favourites are all outside of that world. Bands: Ramones, Pogues, Beatles, Tragically Hip, Beatles, Clash, U2, REM, Supergrass, Gruesomes, Spirit of the West, Crystals, Ventures, Shadowy Men on a Shadowy Planet…and 1000 more, all for different reasons. As far as individual musicians go….hmm…Bob Marley, Darlene Love, Buddy Holly, Django Reinhardt, Johnny Cash, Stompin’ Tom, Danny Elfman, Ray Charles….etc. etc.
2. Is there a particular song or musical passage that never fails to move you emotionally?
Redemption Song by Bob Marley, and Christmas (Baby Please Come Home) by Darlene Love both get me every time.
3. How would you describe your perfect day?
Sunshine and relaxing with the people I love.
4. What would your friends say they appreciate the most about you?
Interesting perspectives? Humour? No idea. I’ll ask.
5. What is your most valued material possession?
For practical purposes, I suppose my computer but really it’s my stockpile of decades worth of my drawings and paintings.
6. Who were you, or would you be nervous to meet?
I was surprised at how nervous I was to meet author Judy Blume (Superfudge, Freckle Juice, Blubber etc.). I used to work at a downtown Vancouver bookstore that often had big name authors come through, and other celebrities promoting books. Heck, being downtown many celebrities would SHOP there too. But Judy Blume was the only one who I got “starstruck” around.
7. If you could blink your eyes and be in a favourite place right now, where would that place be?
On stage with my band in front of dancing kids & parents…or curled up on the couch watching a movie with Bev. Tie.
8. Is there something you would like to do more of in the future?
More recording for sure, and more illustration.
9. Where would you like to find yourself in ten years?
Don’t want to go far from here, but I’d like to be able to count on my shows and art for a reliable full-time living.