Name: STEVE MITCHELL
Birthplace: North Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Currently residing: Nashville, Tennessee
Musical past and present in one rambling run-on sentence: An ongoing experiment in musical chemistry, including The Wounded Cheesies, 1982-1983; The Tree Of Plenty, 1985-1987; Ernie’s Coffee Shop, 1987-1990; The Festive Eddies, 1990-1992; Travels With Charley, 1992-1995; Yardsale, 1995-2000; The Paperboys, 1999-2005; The Haphazards, present.
Website: the haphazards
1. Who are some of your favourite composers, musicians and bands from the past and present?
The Beach Boys’ Brian Wilson, Gram Parsons, The Grateful Dead, Emmy-Lou Harris, Neil Young, John Hiatt, The Staples Family, Willie Nelson, Andrew Bird, Taj Mahal, Death Cab For Cutie, Ry Cooder, Bob Dylan, Dave Brubeck, Doug Sahm, Talib Qweli, Kanye West, Sufjan Stevens, Miles Davis, NRBQ, Wilco, Ryan Adams, Steve Earle, Feist, U2, The Rolling Stones, Don Williams, Elton John (before 1975) and the Talking Heads.
2. Is there a particular song or musical passage that never fails to move you emotionally?
The Beach Boys’ “God Only Knows” and “Surf’s Up”, The Grateful Dead’s “Stella Blue” and “Box Of Rain”, Lee Ann Womack’s “The Bees”, “Chicago” by Sufjan Stevens, “Bridge Over Troubled Water” by Paul Simon, “Hot Burrito #1” by Gram Parsons.
3. How would you describe your perfect day?
Finishing up a new song, charting it for the demo musicians, having a glass of red wine, and then playing the song for my wife.
4. What would your friends say they appreciate the most about you?
I do my best to really listen. And I provide healthy snacks.
5. What is your most valued material possession?
My Goldtone resophonic guitar.
6. Who were you, or would you be nervous to meet?
I met one of my musical heroes and biggest influences, Emmy Lou Harris, and we talked about homeless dogs. I can’t imagine that it would feel comfortable to meet Bob Dylan.
7. If you could blink your eyes and be in a favourite place right now, where would that place be?
In the Kendrick Cabin, next to Cameron Lake, Vancouver Island, on the patio, with my guitar and a hot coffee.
8. Is there something you would like to do more of in the future?
Learn how to use power tools and renovate old homes.
9. Where would you like to find yourself in ten years?
Anywhere, as long as I’m accompanied by my wife Leslie, my daughter Molly and our mellow long-haired chihuahua, Acorn.